Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Joseph Had a Little Overcoat

JOSEPH HAD A LITTLE OVERCOAT: A very old overcoat is recycled numerous times into a variety of garments.Gotta be honest, my 3 1/2 year old did not like Joseph Had a Little Overcoat by Simms Taback, a Caldecott Medal winner.  It's a brief story about resourceful Joseph who continues to recycle his old and worn overcoat down to its very last thread. The message is clear, and timely, and the illustrations lush.

My gut is telling me that the colors were a little too dark for my pink-adoring kid. In fact, I somewhat wryly suggested that if had been about a ballerina who had kept recycling her tutu and leotard she would have liked it better. She did concede that I was probably right.

 Like broccoli, if I keep plying her with this book, she'll come to know it and appreciate it as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment