Monday, July 12, 2010

Overrated Children's Books

Here it goes: the words that will probably get me slammed over and over again.

I don't like Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. I read it once and both my daughter and I were sort of underwhelmed. She never requested it again and I never brought it up.  Let the lambasting begin.

I would like to say that I find the illustrations quite engaging, but the story does nothing for me. Dare I say I don't quite get it? What is all the hoopla about?

Where the Wild Things Are

And since I'm getting started on the subject, I find the Olivia books a little too tongue-in-cheek for my tastes. Should the parents really be quite so put upon by their kid? Ah, the poor suffering parents.

Olivia

Surely, you have books, children's or adult, that you'd throw in the "what's the big deal" category.  Feel free to let me know what books you think are overrated.

1 comment:

  1. No children's books immediately come to mind, but an adults book...a Booker prize winner in fact. Michael Ondaatje's The English Patient literally put me to sleep. I just didn't get it.

    ReplyDelete