Monday, April 26, 2010

The Problem is in the Execution

My brain is like a popcorn popper: I've got so many ideas hopping around it's hard to keep track of them, let alone pin one down, examine the kernel, and see if there is anything more to it than just the shell of an idea.

There's the idea about object permanence. I just love this theme: the fact that it's one of the first concepts kids learn, and as parents we continually reinforce (think of the games of peek-a-bo!) and yet, in the end, it really is not true that things stick around. Everything is temporary. Object permanence is just a construct of our ephemeral minds to comfort ourselves and allow us to function each day.

There's the idea about the Janeites. Really this is not so much an idea as a flirtation, as when I was in elementary school and I really "liked" that boy Jesse. I really like the idea of Janeites and want to do something with it, but it's just a vague set of neurons firing right now. Just added a book to my Amazon wish list. Sure, maybe that will help.

Finally, there's the jumble of little stories I overhear at parks, coffee shops, and grocery stores. The man who told his wife he was going to be staying overnight in San Francisco after going dancing with his friends on Friday night, while she pushed their daughter on the wing. The gorgeous college-aged college student who lives across the street with her mom. The multitude of kids picture-book ideas - scary suits of armor, edible stars, beach ballet.

This seems to be a new form of writer's block for me. Instead of working on my current project, I suspect my mind of treachery when it sends me these diversions.

No comments:

Post a Comment