Tuesday, April 20, 2010

where are all the angry women?

Listening to '80s and '90s music recently, I've grown nostalgic for the Sinead O'Connor and Alannis Morrissette days. Where are the angry women of song these days? I'm not saying that we need to be perpetually angry, but neither do I believe that all that anger has gone away. I know what I do if I can't sing along to 'You Oughta Know' - I buy Bert's Desserts Peanut Butter Cups (but I keep my fingers crossed that the store has the three-piece box altho I'll buy the entire 12-piece size if I'm in a pinch.) In other words, I swallow my anger. I eat my anger. Gross. Bitter. But it still begs the question, what is the current generation of girls going to do? Re-read their Twilight books and burn their yoga mats?

Book club tonight. We're discussing Astrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson. It will be fun to discuss, although I've noticed that people tend not to come if they don't like the book. Too bad because learning why someone doesn't like a book is more fascinating than why they do. The other element of fun is deciding on what to read next. Any suggestions out there?

Finally, my application for a summer writer's conference is due today. Yikes! My chapter one is still not quite where I want it, but I suppose that's one of the reasons to go. The conference is called PCCWW and they only accept 30 people. Staring at my four-leaf clover when I press send on that e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment