Thursday, April 29, 2010

Talk About It?

My daughter loves to point at things and tell me to "talk about it." What a great exercise! As she ages, it's less describing a lime green caterpillar on the sidewalk and more about why she is having a babysitter take care of her.

Naturally, it pays to agree to such an opportunity because stretching my explanations until a 3 year-old deems them acceptable enhances my fiction writing (I hope.) I have to blather, I must stumble, I keep trying until a light of recognition blinks on in her big brown eyes.

Today, the test is to answer why astronauts wear space suits. We found a great site with an explanation but even so my daughter doesn't quite understand terms like atmosphere and pressure. I try to remind her about our trips on an airplane, and how the air gets colder as we climb higher and higher. She correctly points out that we don't wear special suits on the airplane. I sigh and try again. Remember when we went hiking and climbed very high and it felt very cold? A faint dawning of recognition ....

My husband enters with a "magic" coloring book. His turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment