Monday, April 19, 2010

Welcome / Hypocritical Writers

Hah! You found me. I should be working on a book, a short story, a picture book, a poem, a haiku, a shopping list, but this is all I got today. I'm sure you understand.

Thanks for checking in.

I will say that yesterday I was checking out the site of an author I really admire - she has written a couple of YA books that are fantastic - but she was ranting about how unfair it was that an association of recording artists was requesting payment for the music she posted on her site. Somebody else's music. Apparently, she's really pissed that she can't distribute someone else's work for free.

I have an idea: I'm a pretty good typist. In fact, I've typed up her most recent book. Why don't I just put it in an .PDF file and make it available here on my site? Surely, she wouldn't mind. Why should anyone have to buy her book? After all, I have a copy and I will give it to you for free? Does that sound okay to you? She mentions that she's also a musician and doesn't this bleeping association understand how the Internet works?

Yes, clearly they do. That's why they contacted you and requested you support your brethren. The association wanted about $350. Let's see, you've got four books in print, another on the way, and a movie on the horizon. I think $350 is reasonable if you really believe that using someone else's music is critical to the feeling of your blog.

I'm all for free things, but not at the expense of other artists.