Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Hangover

It's a Mother's Day hangover. That doesn't mean that I drunk too much yesterday, although being married to a wine afficinado, that is always a possibility.

It just means that being pampered is extremely addictive. It's really nice sleeping in, really enjoyable to have someone else cook and clean-up, really enjoyable to laze about for a day. I can recall times, pre-motherhood, when a day like that would be enough to recharge me. I think I've depleted my stores so deeply that one day is not quite enough. Instead, it leaves me jonesing for more. It's as if relaxation is a new hang-up, as powerfully seductive as white sugar cravings.

One of my immigrant friends assures me that Americans are soft, that we have it too easy. She swears that her kids won't be raised that way. Isn't that an interesting mindset? My parents who were raised in poor conditions always wanted more for us, didn't want to deprive us. My immigrant friend say do not overindulge.

Regardless, I know that the sweet halo of indulgence will last another 24-48 hours and I intend to savor it. I can only thank my amazing husband and adorable daughter for their lavish care of me yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. Hey,
    don't believe everything we immigrants say. We overindulge our kids in ways you wouldn't believe.
    Mia is a very sweet child, and all your concerns come from the fact that she doesn't have siblings yet.
    With my older one she was getting everything she could wish for, leave alone undivided attention of all grandparents, parents and 2 sets of uncles. Esther doesn't get that much attention naturally, and my concern now is that she is not getting enough - enough of my time, enough of video records, enough of trips made just for her benefit.
    When Eden was 3, we would go to the Discovery museum every month; with Esther we haven't been there even once - don't have time between school, rehearsals and all activities.

    As for the hangover - well, the only way to treat it is to have Mothers day every Sunday, that's just fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you had to say Dina. You're definitely right, although there is some truth and danger to over-indulging. I do feel "soft" and I think it shows! I'm too worried about our little girl yet b/c we simply don't have the money to really go overboard. (Love the story about the Discovery Museum. That is a fantastic place!)

    ReplyDelete