Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday Style!

Style is such a struggle.

I've beginning to wonder if writing style is tied to a personal sense of style. 

I look at Danielle Steel and Neil Gaiman and Maggie Stiefvater and I have to conclude that there is an element of personality in each of these people that can not, will not be suppressed.  They will be who they are - dark sides, scarves, and accordians be damned.

How is that translated on the page?  Is personal style is a necessary but not sufficient condition for having a book?  Perhaps this theory has its holes.  After all, I love Kate DiCamillo books and Stephanie Meyer books, but for the life of me I don't see them running down the streets clad in purple tights trying to make a statement, capital S. 

Still, it can't hurt to explore one's individuality and creativity completely and in all forms.  My family may be in for some wacky dinners as experimentation becomes the new byword in the kitchen.  My clothes may actually become outfits as I breakaway from the t-shirt drawer, and who knows what may happen with my writing if I seek to really find my own voice and style!

No comments:

Post a Comment