Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Scheduling a Schedule

Someone once told me that it takes at least 6 months to figure out the direction of a blog.  And that will prob. be true for me - no Orangette or The Julie/Julia Project guidance, here.

That said, there is freedom with so much open space.  Time to experiment.  Time to try something new.  Here's a proposed blog schedule:
Mondays - Children's Book Review (may be a YA, MG and/or book review); yes I am committing to a book a week!
Tuesdays - 'Style' Discussion
Wednesdays - Free Write / Writing Prompt
Thursdays- KidSpeak (observations of and overheard dialogue from different age groups)
Fridays - Weekly Roundup

Keeping with today's theme and in honor of the movie I watched last night, I want to take a look at the writings of Roald Dahl next week.  Like Evelyn Waugh, Roald Dahl is perhaps one of the most secretly beloved children's writers out there.  Secret because many people know his books - but perhaps only through movies like Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (Widescreen Special Edition) or James and the Giant Peach  What makes Dahl's writing so captivating?  What is it about his style that helps the reader immediately know that s/he is reading Dahl?

I'll be reading Dahl (just children's fiction) over the next week in order to investigate his genius and will discuss on Monday and Tuesday.

Update (4 hours after original post)
OK, turns out I can't get the Dahl books I need in time.  I do have a book called The Diamonds by Ted Michael on hand so that's what I'll be covering on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment