Friday, May 28, 2010

Weekly Recap: Inspiration

Been meditating today on this crazy week and how very little writing got done, although it was because my time was going toward an effort that will get me to my writing seminar later this summer, the Pacific Coast Children's Writers Workshop.  That counts right?

In order to pump myself up I'm trying to compile of list of authors who have had to slog it out for years before they were published.

After the success of Twilight, I think a lot of people expect a book to be written in a few short months.  What Stephanie Meyer did was amazing.  I can't figure out how she found the time to write and edit with three small kids at home.  She says she stayed up late at night and that her sister read each chapter giving her regular feedback.  (Sigh, I always wanted a sister.)  Meyer finished Twilight in 3 months reportedly.

Contrast that amazing story with the story of Harry Potter.  It took years - years! - for J.K. Rowling to complete the first book, Philosopher's Stone.  A year for her agent to find a publisher, and so on.

So, in the spirit of these two great women, I'm staying up late, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Widescreen Edition) is on TV, and I'm writing!

2 comments:

  1. i'll be your sisterly chapter reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SYL! Are you sure - that means reading a lot of crud! :)

    ReplyDelete